Ice fishing is an incredible angling experience but it can be difficult especially during extreme weather conditions. During winter, the temperatures can drop very low making it treacherous to go for ice fishing. For you to brave the unexpected winds and storms you need to use the best ice fishing shelters.
We may resist on the ice for a short time. but, if we want to stay there for long-time fishing or activities, we should have a shelter to protect us. It will keep us warm and dry for a long time. If you are familiar with all the ice fishing tricks and techniques, that will not do anything if you are freezing or wet.
There are many different types of ice fishing shelters available in the market. They normally come in different sizes and shapes which can match your needs. In this article, we are going to look at the top 10 ice fishing shelters. But first, let’s look at the factors to consider while buying an ice fishing shelter.
Quick Answer For The Best Ice Fishing Shelter
Our quick answer for the best ice fishing shelter is Eskimo Quickfish Ice Fishing Shelter. It really depends on your needs, situations, and the number of people going to use. We have mentioned some more factors in the buying guide. Here are our selected shelters:
- Eskimo Quickfish Ice Fishing
- ThunderBay Ice Cube 3 Man Portable Ice Shelter
- Eskimo FatFish Portable 3-4 Person Ice Fishing
- Elkton Outdoors Portable Ice Fishing
- HappyBuy Insulated Ice Fishing Shelter
- Tangkula Pop-up Ice Shelter
- GYMAX Ice Shelter Pop-up Waterproof Fishing Tent
- Otter 201112 Xth Pro Resort Thermal Hub
- Eskimo Sierra Ice Fishing
- Clam 114477 C-560 Thermal
- FERRET Insulated Pop-up Ice Tent
- Frabill Predator Sidestep Ice Shelter
Table Of Comparison For A Quick View
|Ice Fishing Shelter||Capacity||Material||Check On Amazon|
|Eskimo Quickfish Ice Fishing Shelter||2-6 persons||300 denier ice tight fabric||Check On Amazon|
|ThunderBay Ice Cube 3 Man Ice Shelter||3 persons||300 denier fabric||Check On Amazon|
|Eskimo FatFish Portable Shelter||3-9 persons||300 denier ice tight fabric||Check On Amazon|
|Elkton Outdoors Portable Ice Fishing Shelter||6-8 persons||High-quality material, tarpaulin seal||Check On Amazon|
|Happybuy Ice Fishing Shelter||2-3 people||300D oxford fabric||Check On Amazon|
|Tangkula Pop-up Ice Shelter||2-3 people||300D oxford fabric, solid glass rod||Check On Amazon|
|GYMAX Pop-up Ice Fishing Tent||2-3 people||Strong 300D oxford fabric||Check On Amazon|
|Otter 201112 Xth Pro Resort Thermal Hub||6 to 8 people||600D fabric in 3 layers||Check On Amazon|
|Eskimo Sierra Ice Fishing Shelter||2 people||IQ insulated fabric||Check On Amazon|
|Clam 114477C-560 Thermal||3-4 people||Polyester||Check On Amazon|
|FERRET Insulated Pop-up Ice Tent||3-4 people||300D insulated fabric||Check On Amazon|
|Frabill Predator Ice Shelter||4-5 people||Full insulated fabric||Check On Amazon|
Features Of The Best Ice Fishing Shelters 2020
1) Eskimo Quickfish Ice Fishing Shelter Review
First on the list of best ice fishing shelters is none other than Eskimo Quickfish Ice Shelter. This fishing shelter comes with sturdy hubs as well as strong poles that allow easy setup. It comes equipped with a cinch carrying bag that allows you to carry it easily.
The 4 loop and hook windows allow you to adjust your shelter’s ventilation. Eskimo Quickfish Ice Fishing has a single door that has a durable YKK zipper. Another impressive feature of the ice fishing shelter includes a hub design fast takedown and easy setup.
- A good built quality which makes it strong to withstand extreme winds
- Features a backpack that makes it convenient to carry the tent
- It includes accessories such as a storage pouch, ropes, and anchors
- Comfortable and spacious on the inside and can fit at least 3 people on the inside
- The good ventilation system makes it more secure
- Corner joints are reinforced for better performance.
- The shelter can be set up in one minute.
- The 300D fabric with a 59 percent higher thread count makes the shelter really reliable.
- These shelters give us options to choose an insulated one also.
- Unlike other ice fishing shelters, this one does not have a floor
- It is hard to set up the tent in heavy wind
2) ThunderBay Ice Cube 3 Man Portable Ice Shelter
As the name suggests, the Ice Cube 3 Man Portable Ice Shelter can host three persons and is made from durable 300 denier fabric which helps to prevent wind. The blackout coating is important because it prevents light from getting in.
Also, the loop and hook fastened windows are easily replaceable and adjustable. Ice Cube also features an 80” ceiling height as well as a 90” x 90” hub which helps to keep the shelter stable. When you purchase this ice shelter you will get six self-tapping ice anchors and a carry bag.
- The heavy-duty material makes this shelter withstand the most extreme conditions
- The doors have heavy-duty zippers that can last for long
- Adjustable windows are available
- If you want darkness inside the shelter, you can do that using the blackout coating.
- This ice shelter is well priced
- This ice tent would function better if it had an extra door
- The shelter does not come with a floor
3) Eskimo FatFish Portable 3-4 Person Insulated Ice Fishing
Eskimo FatFish Ice Fishing is a portable ice fishing shelter that is designed to host 2 people at a time. The smart design of the Eskimo FatFish Portable Ice Fishing has strong flexible poles which makes it easy for it to be assembled.
It also comes with 6 large removable windows for enhanced viewing configurations. Other features of the Eskimo FatFish Portable Ice Fishing include 300 Denier ice tight fabrics that come with a 59 percent higher comparable shelters v thread count.
- The considerable sizes, as well as mesh storage pockets, are very accommodating
- Compared to its considerable size, this shelter weighs only 34 pounds
- More space inside gives you more space for fishing.
- Easy to set up and carry.
- You can choose from insulated or non-insulated shelters.
- The warm, insulated fabric enables you to keep warm during your ice fishing experience
- The carrying bag makes it complete.
- This ice shelter is prone to condensation
- Doors of the shelter are on their small side
4) Elkton Outdoors Insulated Ice Fishing Shelter (Single & Double)
The Elkton Outdoors Portable Ice Fishing Single is a large tent that measures 70 x 70 x 80 inches and can host about 3 to 4 people comfortably. This versatile tent can be set up and taken down within 30 seconds. All you have to do is follow up on the setup instructions and begin fishing. The double size is for 6 to 8 persons.
Also, the tent has watertight and great insulation features that help keep users dry and warm during the ice fishing process. Elkton Outdoors Ice fishing comes with a carry bag that makes it easy to pack things.
- Nicely insulated to keep it warm.
- Tarpaulin seal makes the shelter waterproof,
- The ventilation system helps to remain secured.
- It comes with a carrying bag, anchors, and ropes.
- It is easy to set up within 30 seconds only
- The solid and durable material design makes this shelter stand the test of time
- This shelter is very portable making it easy to carry.
- Two sizes available, single and double.
- The straps of this ice fishing shelter are not so strong.
5) Happybuy Insulated Ice Fishing Shelter Review
Happybuy comes in 2, 3, 4, and 8 person models which are suitable for those who want to fish on rivers and lakes. This pop-up ice fishing shelter has poles that are made from D 9.5 solid glass fiber as well as 300D oxford fabric which helps keep you warm from wind and cold.
For enhanced stability, this ice fishing shelter has heavy-duty material that is sewn over the corner joints for enhanced reinforcement. The removable windows that come with detachable loop and hook windows help to adjust your tent’s ventilation.
- It has enough space to accommodate 2 to 3 people comfortably
- Lightweight, simple, and durable to withstand harsh weather
- The flexible poles are constructed from D 9.5 solid glass fiber that helps hold them up
- It includes a carrying bag and all the accessories to mount the tent.
- The beautiful design provides greater stability.
- This shelter is insulated properly and it is waterproof as well.
- It is available in different sizes and colors.
- The pull cords and zipper are prone to freezing
- It does not come with a floor.
6) Tangkula Pop-up Ice Shelter
Tangkula Pop-up Ice Shelter is a standard ice camping shelter that is designed to protect you from high winds as well as cold as you enjoy your ice fishing.
It can fit 2 to 3 people and has windows which allow light in. The sturdy oxford fabric covering makes the tent waterproof and the minus 22 degrees Fahrenheit gives it a frost resistance design. Tangkula Pop-up Ice Shelter is ideal for outdoor fishing thanks to its lightweight and portable characteristics.
- Lightweight and portable
- It is frost resistant and waterproof
- Heavy-duty flexible fiberglass poles help to assemble the tent easily.
- Spacious interior that can accommodate at least 3 anglers as well as gears
- It comes with the accessories necessary for using it.
- A carrying bag is also included in the pack.
- It is not ideal for families with more than 3 members.
7) GYMAX Ice Shelter Pop-up Waterproof Fishing Tent
GYMAX Ice Shelter is waterproof and frost resistant to minus 22 degrees Fahrenheit which helps to double your enjoyment in outdoor activities. It has a light and sturdy design weighing 22 lbs that makes the tent stand the test of time.
This waterproof fishing tent has enough space that can comfortably fit 2 to 3 people and contains windows that allow light to pass in. Thanks to its lightweight and portable characteristics, GYMAX Ice Shelter is easy to transport making it suitable for outdoor fishing.
- It is frost resistant to minus 22 degrees Fahrenheit
- Easy to install thanks to the pop-up system
- The red color makes it visible when used in snowy conditions
- Comes installed with detachable PVC windows
- Waterproof, light, and strong design.
- It has enough space inside for 2/3 persons.
- It comes with a traveling bag and the accessories needed.
- It is prone to condensation
- The shelter comes without a floor
8) Otter 201112 Xth Pro Resort Thermal Hub Review
The Otter 201112 Xth Pro Resort Thermal Hub is an ideal ice shelter for those who are going for ice fishing. This ice-fishing shelter comes equipped with the ice-lock anchoring system and 3 point corner anchoring system which reduces wind lift and provides greater downforce security.
Other features of the Otter 201112 Xth Pro Resort Thermal Hub include two overhead cargo storage nets as well as two propane hose ports which come together with a loop and hook flaps.
- Built-in storage nets
- Compact and lightweight design
- Great stability
- Simple to set up
- It is quite big inside with sufficient room
- It comes with a bag and accessories for assembling
- It does not have a floor included.
9) Eskimo Sierra Thermal Ice Fishing
Eskimo ice fishing is a well-respected product and it’s not surprising to find another of their shelters on this list of best ice fishing shelters. It is fully insulated using IQ insulated fabric making it 35 percent warmer compared to other non-insulated shelters.
The aluminum square tubing gives it a rigid structure which makes it withstand wind. Also, the double-walled hinge makes it sturdier in windy conditions. Eskimo Sierra ice Fishing comes equipped with a flip-over/removable seat mounting which makes it spacious and easy to access gear.
- Takes a short time to set up
- It is insulated using IQ insulated fabric
- Can accommodate up to 3 people
- It comes with a sled
- 900D high-quality fabric in 4 layers can ensure our comfort
- I don’t see anything wrong with this tent.
10) Clam 114477 C-560 Thermal Review
And finally on this list of best ice fishing shelters is Clam 114477 C-560 Thermal. This ice-fishing shelter which is designed from polyester material can fish 3 to 4 anglers comfortably.
Clam 114477 C-560 Thermal includes a carry bag and is easy to pack down and set up. Included components of Clam 114477 C-560 Thermal include fishing accessories, boating, and fishing as well as fishing-ice-fishing-shelter.
- It has a large size which makes it accommodate many people comfortably at the same time
- It is very durable thanks to the 600 denier fabric
- It is easy to handle and it comes with the accessories
- This shelter could be great for a family as it provides enough space inside.
- This storage bag is very bulky
11) FERRET Insulated Pop-up Ice Tent
The shelter made by FERRET is a great option for a small family of 3 or 4. 300D fabric with insulation protects us from the cold and rough wind.
This shelter is designed innovatively keeping the ventilation in mind.
- The fiberglass frame makes the shelter strong enough to support hard conditions
- The space for fishing is big enough
- It’s light in weight and comes with a carrying bag
- All the accessories come in the set
- The shelter does not come with a floor
12) Frabill Predator Sidestep Ice Shelter
Frabill is a trusted brand name for fishing accessories. As they wanted to contribute to the world of ice fishing necessaries. Frabill predator is definitely a great ice fishing shelter. But, it is not so lightweight as the other portable shelters.
This is made with really high-quality materials to protect us from wind, cold, frost, etc. It’s fully insulated.
- It comes with a sled and two excellent seats (similar to the boat seats) that ensure comfort
- High-quality insulation keeps us warm
- The shelter provides a big room for fishing
- It is well ventilated
- With the seats and sled, it becomes heavy.
Ice Fishing Shelter Buying Guide
Choosing the best ice fishing shelter can be overwhelming because the market is flooded with many varieties. So the question you should be asking yourself is what should you look at while buying the best ice fishing shelter?
You must pick a shelter that can host at least 2 people and be spacious enough to hold your bait and gear. The following guide will help you choose the best ice fishing shelter that meets your needs.
The first factor to consider is the size of the ice fishing shelter. Your shelter’s warmth will vary depending on the size of your tent. Note that ice fishing tents are designed to prevent wind but in case they are oversize they can quickly become colder inside. Ideally, you should choose an ice fishing shelter that is large enough to host a good number of people.
The portability of ice tents can vary depending on their size. Large tents can weigh about 50 lbs but the small ones weigh between 20 to 30 lbs. The material of the tent which is determined by its weight, insulation, durability, and cost helps you know the portability of the material.
Flooring and seating
If you have money to spend, you can buy the more expensive ice fishing shelters that have built-in floors. On the other hand, tents with a flip-style come with fixed seats which are installed.
Insulation and ventilation
The best ice fishing shelters come equipped with ventilation holes and opening windows which allow excess heat and fumes to escape. To avoid the risk of condensation forming inside the tent you need to choose one that comes with insulation.
Storage space is another important factor to consider while purchasing an ice fishing shelter. In case an ice tent holds three people, you should consider whether it has enough space to store an auger and fishing equipment. Larger tents have enough storage space while the smaller ones may have built-in pockets.
Stability & Design
We must look at the design. A tent with a better design for better stability should be taken into consideration. Great design is related to stability, ventilation, comfort, space, and everything.
Material & Construction
The material is always important. The fabric, polyester, insulating material, and the other materials have their own qualities and of course different from each other. The rods and steaks are responsible for the strength of the structure of the shelters. The stronger the material, the stronger will be the shelter.
The Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which ice fishing shelter should I buy?
A: We prefer you to buy Happybuy Ice Fishing Shelter because it can fit from 2 to 8 people and has a quality design.
Q: Which ice fishing sled is the best?
A: Frabill Bro Flip-Over Shelter which comes with SideStep technology. The other options are also good.
Q: The material of the ice fishing shelter is measured in Denier. What exactly is it?
A: Denier refers to a unit of measurement which is used for fibers. This is usually a guide to the thickness that can also measure density and weight.
Ice fishing shelters are vital for anglers who want to stay warm during their ice fishing activities. It can be considered as a basic item for fishermen who are going ice fishing. No matter the style of the ice fishing shelter you choose, you need to choose the one which you will be comfortable with.
The above list of best ice fishing shelters has covered different types of shelters that can be used by two people to a whole family. Hopefully, you will find a shelter that will protect you and your gear from the cold and harsh wind.